Thursday, February 22, 2007

SP10 Q+A

1a.What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with?

Any protein rich animal fibers (wool, silk, alpaca etc). Raw cotton.

Mostly like to knit with 4ply (fingering/sock) or aran (worsted) weight wool.

I usually prefer yarn that has colour variations (either variegated or multicoloured) rather than a solid colours. Although rich purples always go down well.

b. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?

Synthetics (mainly acrylic) … make my hands itchy and dry (wools with less than 25% synthetic tend to be ok). Knitting with mercerised cotton hurts my hands, although its ok for crochet

2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?

… denise needles in their box, straights, circs and hooks all have own homes in holders I made myself from Laurel Burch fabric.

3. a.How long have you been knitting & how did you learn?

My granny taught me when I was 4, she was from Germany so I knit Continental. I was taught the English method at school as I was told that I was knitting the wrong way. So for about 26 years or so …. I’ve knitted lace since I was 9 (mostly doilies in those days).

b. Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?

I don’t like putting myself into a box … I don’t think my bum would fit. I knit lace, steeks, socks, cables, entrelac, etc. I knit faster than I purl.

4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?

I’m not ‘allowed’ books at the moment until we move to a bigger place, so I don’t even contemplate having a wishlist! I presently have most of the easily accessible knitting books. I covet anything by Alice Starmore (I have all the reasonably priced ones) and anything by EZ.

5. What's your favorite scent?

Things natural such as lemon, lavender, basil, bergamot.

6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?

No, I don’t like candy … but would die for 70% cocoa chocolate or sugar free salted licorice. I love tea … especially earl grey, lapsang souchong, herbal teas (except citrus/ginger)

7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do?

I regularly partake of crochet, needle felting and tatting.

I enjoy cross stitch, hardanger, embroidery, canvas work (usually for Christmas pressies) etc but find they get in the way of knitting time.

I do all the DIY around the house and gardening.

I enjoy almost anything practical and am hoping to take part in a wood turning course if I can find one nearby
.

Do you spin?

Kind of … only have homemade drop spindle (one with the CD) and have successfully spun with it. I’m hoping to buy my own wheel at Woolfest this year if I can decide which one to get. I find the movement of spinning therapeutic.

8. What kind of music do you like?

Ooh a very ecletic mix from Pete Seeger to Flanders and Swan to Classical to Rock, lots of traditional folk, Jazz ummm …. Its probably easier to say that I don’t care for a lot of dance, hiphop, rap but otherwise anything else goes. I sometimes like knitting to tibetan chants.

Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
Yes MP3, WMA, OGG are all fine

9. What's your favorite color(s)?

Purple. Purple. OH did I mention I like PURPLE? Generally otherwise cool colours such as strong blues, pinks, greens, etc are great.

Any colors you just can't stand?

not keen on reds, browns, oranges, pale pastel colours (except purple) or neons

10. What is your family situation?

I’m married (for past 2 years) to G (who has been known to knit the odd mitred square or two).

Do you have any pets?

A cat called Kenny (black with white chest and booties) who loves to ‘pad’ obsessively whatever I’m knitting

11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?

I have a major hat fetish. Scarves and mittens are great too in the Scottish climate. Not keen on ponchos.

12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?

I usually have two kinds of project on the go at once. One is a quick knit (currently mitred squares) for when I don’t feel like counting. The other is a complex pattern either lace, cables or fair isle that is pleasing to my mathematical side. The actual item doesn’t matter but I avoid seaming wherever possible (I knitted Inishmore and only had 2 ends to weave in, no seaming!)

13. What are you knitting right now?

Curve of pursuit in RYC soft tweed (yarn was a new years sale bargain).
Sari silk cushion cover for G’s mum (not liking sari silk much).
Baby things for all the new arrivals due this year.
Kureyon squares for mitred square blankie.
Felted cat bed
About to start something from Victorian lace today, if only I could make my mind up!


14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?

Yes, I would be really touched and feel honoured that somebody would take time and effort to make something for … me!

15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
Depends on the yarn and my mood, I’m not fussy.

16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?

Yes and hopefully after thurs it will be yes. Hubby is making me a swift from oak in his woodwork class … what a star.

17. How old is your oldest UFO?

UM not sure … probably the mitred squares blankie (about 1 year) but I’ve knitted on it most days.

18. What is your favorite holiday?

The Glasgow fair weekend which is a long weekend in mid july just for people that live in or around Glasgow/West coast. It’s a time to go away to the beautiful hills and beaches in the far Northwest of Scotland really far away from it all.

19. Is there anything that you collect?

Epiphitic cacti (grown from seed if possible)
Metamorphic rocks (mainly slate)


20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?

I have plenty of books and patterns …. need more time … lots of it preferably … needlewise I’m pretty sorted. I subscribe to Interweave knits. Would be interested in seeing an issue of Knitters.

21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?

I’d like to sit down and attempt the many different types of cast on / off to see the different edges possible.

22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?

I have been known to knit socks but they tend to be for others, although I made my trampolining socks. This is a good case for avoiding second sock syndrome as the socks people wear for trampolining in the club I coach/train in are brightly coloured and definitely odd (pattern and colour). I have turned up with one trainer sock and one over the knee before! I wear a size 42 (uk size 8).

23. When is your birthday?
19th July

No comments: