Monday, June 30, 2008

Friday was Woolfest. Followed by hunting for a wedding present for the wedding that was on Saturday (nothing like leaving it to the last minute). Then a quick trip to Keswick to buy some supplies for dinner. I was with one of my good friends (H). I thought we'd camp at a quite farm and one of my favourite places in the Lakes (Gatesgarth Farm between Honister and Buttermere). It was absolutely lashing with rain and wind and the drive over was pretty grim. Anyway managed to get the tent pitched and while we were getting organised noticed the tax disc was missing from the car! (I forgot to mention last week that on Monday we woke up to find our car window broken). To report this to the police we had to drive for 30mins before I got phone reception but the guys at Strathclyde Police were fab.
We had a lovely evening in the tent (the rain had eased by now), which included counting and sorting the massive bag of assorted buttons that H had bought at Woolfest.
The next day involved getting washed and dressed for the wedding. This was quite a challenge in a muddy field with only a very hot or freezing cold tap. I'm sure a few people had a laugh at our expense especially when we had to leave the field via the farm (and 5 gates that needed to be opened and closed). We HAD to stop in Penrith, to pick up a form for a duplicate car tax disc and some Persil aloe vera washing up liquid (absolutely the best thing we have in the UK for fleece washing). Then we realised we were kind of running a bit late for the wedding (held near Preston) but managed to arrive seconds before the bride. It was a great to see my friends Amanda and Andrew looking so radiantly happy.
We left the wedding after the meal as three of us had to be back in Glasgow on sunday morning for various reasons. The drive back was uneventful although it seemed to take forever. Arrived at home at 1am, changed into my pyjama's and started painting some of the woodwork in the flat. (I'd worked out it was the only way I could get 2 coats of gloss paint on before monday morning). After a sleepless night because the cats were completely bonkers chasing around the place. I got up at 6.30am for more painting, then back to sleep for a couple of hours. Then began a mammouth fleece washing and flat cleaning expedition for most of the day. By 10pm I was completely shattered. Then Gordon arrived from a wet weekend's hillwalking in Knoydart and dumped his wet muddy kit in the nice clean spare room .... sigh!
I feel like I've come to work today for a rest!

No comments: