Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Here is my attempt at the SP11 questionaire as I realised it was due for tomorrow. I've changed a few things from SP10 to keep it interesting. I'd also be happy to answer any other questions that are appropriate. I'm excited now waiting to find out who my SP11 is, its a distraction from the sore leg!


1.What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with?


I love any protein rich animal fibers (wool, silk etc) and raw cotton.I like to knit with laceweight, 4ply (fingering/sock) or aran (worsted) weight wool.



I usually prefer yarn that has colour variations (either variegated or multicoloured) rather than a solid colours. Rich purples always go down well.



What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?


Synthetics (mainly acrylic) … make my hands itchy and dry (wools with less than 25% synthetic tend to be ok as are sock yarn). Knitting with mercerised cotton hurts my hands, although its ok for crochet. I have a slight dislike of alpaca for projects that require an elastic fiber eg lace or socks. I also generally avoid chunky wool, boucle, eyelash and tape yarns


2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?


… denise needles in their box, straights, circs and hooks all have own homes in holders I made myself from Laurel Burch fabric.
3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? My granny taught me when I was 4, she was from Germany so I knit Continental. I was taught the English method at school as I was told that I was knitting the wrong way. So for about 26 years or so …. I’ve knitted lace since I was 9 (mostly doilies in those days).



Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?


I don’t like putting myself into a box … I don’t think my bum would fit. I knit lace, steeks, socks, cables, entrelac, etc. I knit faster than I purl. (I probably knit/dye /spin/weave about 15 hours per week)


4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?


I’m not ‘allowed’ books at the moment until we move to a bigger place, so I don’t even contemplate having a wishlist! I presently have most of the easily accessible knitting books. I covet anything by Alice Starmore (I have all the reasonably priced ones) and anything by EZ.


5. What's your favorite scent?



Things natural such as lemon, lavender, basil, bergamot



6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?



I don’t have a sweet tooth. However I love very dark plain chocolate and sugar free salted licorice. I am a big tea drinker, I love all kinds of black tea, my favourites are Lapsang souchong, yunnan Black and earl grey and most herbal teas except citrus and ginger




7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?


I love dyeing with synthetic and natural colours. I weave and have just bought a Kromski loom.



I sometimes crochet, and enjoy needle felting and tatting.I enjoy cross stitch, hardanger, embroidery, canvas work (usually for Christmas pressies) etc but find they get in the way of knitting time.I do all the DIY around the house and gardening.I enjoy almost anything practical and am hoping to take part in a wood turning course if I can find one nearby.

I’ve also signed up to do a sheep handling and shearing course!Do you spin?I have several drop spindles and hope to acquire a wheel in October once I’ve made my mind up which Kromski is for me.


8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)



Its probably easier to say that I don’t care for a lot of dance, hiphop, rap or opera but otherwise anything else goes. I mostly listen to rock and folk but have a very open mind to most things!




9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand?


Purple. Purple. OH did I mention I like PURPLE? Generally otherwise cool colours such as strong blues, pinks, greens, etc are great. I also like natural sheep colours such as ecru, moorit and mooskit and any natural dye colours



I’m not keen on synthetically dyed reds, browns, oranges, pale pastel colours (except purple) or neons



10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?



I’m married (for past 3 years) to G (who has been known to knit the odd mitred square or two). I have a cat who loves knitted things.


11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?


I have a major hat fetish. Scarves and mittens are great too in the Scottish climate. Not keen on ponchos.


12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?


I usually have two kinds of project on the go at once. One is a quick knit currently socks for when I don’t feel like counting. The other is a complex pattern either lace, cables or fair isle that is pleasing to my mathematical side. The actual item doesn’t matter but I avoid seaming wherever possible (I knitted Inishmore and only had 2 ends to weave in, no seaming!)



13. What are you knitting right now?



This is my WIPS list which I’m planning to Blitz in the next week or two


Socks (purple cable ones and knitty space invader ones)
Shetland Hap Shawl
Blossom Jumper
Nicky Epstein Cabled wrap
Cushion covers for my mother
Jumper for DH


Once some of these are finished I will start



Hanne Falkenberg Mermaid
Faroese shawl in purple mohair
Knee length sampler socks
Jacket from Scottish Island knits

14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?


Yes, I would be really touched and feel honoured that somebody would take time and effort to make something for … me!


15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?


Depends on the yarn and my mood, I’m not fussy.


16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?

Yes, I’ve been using a nostepinne too recently


17. How old is your oldest UFO?

A few months, the blossom jumper. I ripped back the section that was annoying me and now feel more motivated to get it finished. I like to try and get things finished in a reasonable time.


18. What is your favorite holiday?


The September weekend (local holiday weekend at the end of september as it coinincides with our wedding anniversary)



19. Is there anything that you collect?



Epiphitic cacti (grown from seed if possible)Metamorphic rocks (mainly slate)
Esoteric things to do with knitting, spinning or weaving
Cats



20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?



I have plenty of books and patterns …. need more time … lots of it preferably … needlewise I’m pretty sorted. I subscribe to Interweave knits. I like patterns that mix science and art.



Yarnwise I have seen a few things recently that intrigue me. Firstly Wollmiese sock yarn in colour pfauenauge here on Bobbi’s blog and anything Lorna’s laces and CTH


21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?


Cabling without a cable needle (I’ve tried this a few times and end up in a mess).


22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?


Yes! Currently in a bit of a toe up sock phase … I wear a UK size 8 european 42.


23. When is your birthday?


July


Are you on Ravelry? If so, what's your ID?


Still waiting for the invite

1 comment:

LUL said...

I am not at aaaallll jealous of you being in SP11